Dwarf Joe Pye Weed ‘Little Joe’
Eupatorium ‘Little Joe’, or Dwarf Joe Pye Weed cultivar ‘Little Joe’ is a beautiful, more dwarf version of Joe Pye weed. This plant will only reach about 3 to 5 feet in height rather than the typical 7 to 8 feet tall of other Joe Pye weeds. In mid-summer it is topped with large domes of lavender-rose flowers that butterflies adore. The stems are stout and will stand up to wind and rain and are great in floral arrangements. The bright green foliage is a nice contrast to the colorful flowers. The smaller size and stronger stems make this selection a very useful addition to the garden.
How To Make Your Dwarf Joe Pye Weed ‘Little Joe’ Thrive
Dwarf Joe Pye weed prefers a location in full sun, but will still flower well in light to open shade. An ideal condition includes rich moist soil with regular watering (it actually likes to have wet feet) though it will tolerate sandy soils and clay. You will find this plant in the wild thriving in low lying locations next to bodies of water.
General Dwarf Joe Pye Weed ‘Little Joe’ Information
Pests and Diseases
No serious insect or disease problems. Leaves may scorch if soils are allowed to dry out.
Propagte by seed in the spring or division in the fall.
Locate in borders, cottage gardens, meadows, native plant gardens, wild or naturalized areas, or water margins.
- Family: Asteraceae
- Plant Type: Herbaceous, upright perennial
- Foliage: Deciduous
- Plant Height: 3 to 4 feet tall
- Plant Spread: 2 to 3 feet wide
- Hardiness Zones: Zones 3 to 9
- Bloom Time: July to September
- Bloom Color: Lavender, purple (Joe Pye weed tends to be more mauve)
- Light Exposure: Full sun to light or open shade
- Water Requirements: Frequent to regular watering (likes wet feet)
- Seasonal Interest: Colorful flowers in mid to late summer
- Wildlife: Bees, butterflies, hummingbirds
- Tolerates: Deer, clay soil, wet soil
Flicker – Dwarf Joe Pye weed ‘Little Joe’ Photos