Go Red for Heart Disease in Women: National Wear Red Day: Why It’s So Important
- Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women, and is more deadly than all forms of cancer combined.
- Heart disease causes 1 in 3 women’s deaths each year, killing approximately one woman every minute.
- An estimated 43 million women in the U.S. are affected by heart disease.
- Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
- Since 1984, more women than men have died each year from heart disease.
- While 1 in 31 American women dies from breast cancer each year, 1 in 3 dies of heart disease.
Go Red for Heart Disease in Women: National Wear Red Day: These Are The Important Symptoms
- If you feel uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest, a feeling that lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
- If you have pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- If you have shortness of breath, with or without chest discomfort.
- If you break out into a cold sweat, have nausea, or lightheadedness.
- As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain, or discomfort, but women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back, or jaw pain.
If you have any of these signs, call 9-1-1 and get to a hospital right away.
Although men and women can experience chest pressure that feels like an elephant sitting across the chest, women can experience a heart attack without chest pressure. Instead women may experience shortness of breath, pressure or pain in the lower chest or upper abdomen, dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting, upper back pressure, or extreme fatigue.
Even when the signs are subtle, the consequences can be deadly, if you are gambling that your signs are not a heart attack, well for all of us who care that is a truly bad gamble.
Some Additional Resource Information from the American Heart Association
Go Red with Betty White and Friends